Choosing Long-Term Care

Frequently Asked Questions… click for answers.

Has it become difficult or impossible to maintain your home, or do you have a need for assistance at limited times of the day? Are there obstacles to your mobility in the home that you cannot afford to remove? Services and supports may be available to help you to continue living at home, where practicable. Licensed personal care homes (or “assisted living”) might meet your needs that don’t require round-the-clock care. Skilled nursing facilities provide 24-hour nursing services and supervision. You will receive helpful advice through the Aging & Disability Resource Connection in your area to help you navigate the options for services and supports that fit your needs, including staying in your home. Of course, your family and medical professionals may also provide beneficial observations to help you decide on a plan.

You may contact the Aging & Disability Resource Connection to obtain a resource list.

A complete listing of all licensed long-term care facilities is available from the Georgia Department of Community Health’s Healthcare Facility Regulation Division. A sorted listing based on the variables matching your needs is available through contacting the Area Agency on Aging.

A number of booklets or guides provide advice and suggestions to help you weigh your options. Request our booklet, Answers to Frequently Asked Questions About Long-Term Care in Georgia. “Piecing Together Quality Long-Term Care: A Consumer’s Guide to Choices and Advocacy” is available from the National Consumer Voice for Quality Long-Term Care at To learn more about distinguishing which facilities provide “person-directed” care and services, visit “A Consumer’s Guide to Finding a Nursing Home on the Culture Change Journey” at the Pioneer Network website.

There are frequently fewer options available to the individual who does not have adequate financial resources to pay independently for long-term services and supports. Medicare and Medicaid will pay for both nursing home and in-home care in certain circumstances. For a veteran, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs or Georgia Department of Veterans Services may pay for care under certain circumstances. An individual may apply for Medicaid at the county Department of Family and Children’s Services (DFCS) in the county where the nursing home is located. Your Area Agency on Aging can assist with further information on resources for financing long-term care services and supports. The Georgia Department of Human Services’ Division of Aging Services publishes “Medicaid Information for Long-Term Care.” For our extensive page of resources about the many facets of long-term care, please contact us at 1-866-552-4464.